Tips for Picking the Right Chiropractor
Many people think that all chiropractors are basically the same, and that you will get pretty much the same type of care no matter which one you visit. In fact, some chiropractors specialize in certain types of bodily injuries, and are highly skilled in securing favorable outcomes when treating those types of injuries. In order to find out whether a specific chiropractor is right for you, you’ll need to establish some criteria for evaluation, such as those points described below.
Criteria for choosing your ideal chiropractor
If you continue to believe that all chiropractors are the same, it’s entirely possible that you’ll simply select the one that’s closest to you, and end up with someone who is unable to provide you with the results you’re looking for. Here are some criteria by which you will be able to make a much better choice for your personal chiropractor:
- Read reviews – it’s very important that you read online reviews about any given chiropractor – but don’t go by the star rating alone. Pay attention to the comments about how patients are treated, what the overall visit was like, and the general experience that the patient had with a chiropractor. You can find chiropractor reviews on Google, Facebook, Yelp, or Healthgrades.
- Ask for recommendations – this is another good place to start when you’re trying to find the right chiropractor. If you know a good medical professional, he/she may be able to refer you to a chiropractor who specializes in your kind of injury. You may also have a massage therapist or a physical therapist who can recommend a good chiropractic professional to you. You may even have family or friends who have had a good experience with a specific chiropractor, and you might have the same kind of experience.
- Inquire about their experience – when you are consulting with a chiropractor or interviewing them, make sure to ask about the specific type of injury or problem you have. For instance, if you’re suffering from low back pain, ask a candidate chiropractor how they treat low back pain and what their results have been.
- Ask about their techniques – all chiropractors are different, and the approaches they take to resolving pain and discomfort issues are also different. Some chiropractors prefer to resolve most issues through gentle spinal manipulation, whereas others may like to accompany those adjustments with ultrasound stimulation. It can make a big difference regarding the techniques any specific chiropractor prefers to use, because those techniques may or may not be effective on your issue.
- Consider their educational component – some chiropractors will treat your injury or your problem and just send you on your way. Others do their best to educate you about how injuries are sustained, and what you can do to prevent them. Most people prefer to receive this educational advice, so they have a better chance of remaining injury-free, and don’t have to continue to seek treatment for the same injuries. You’ll want to know whether or not your chiropractor takes the time to explain treatments and conditions, so that you have an understanding of what’s being done, and what effect it is intended to have. Find out if your chiropractor has a YouTube channel or a blog, because these are often vehicles used for educating patients.